Adding Color to Rebatched Soap

I really am on a roll with this rebatched soap! It’s a good thing too, because my soap inventory is running extremely low and these just might be available before Christmas! I’m waiting to see how long it takes for the extra water to evaporate and will keep you posted.

Yesterday’s batches were an experiment in adding color to the base of the soap. The first batch started out as a not-so-pretty brown, so I decided to darken it up with some new moon black mica. As soon as the soap was mostly melted, I added half a tablespoon of mica mixed* with a bit of water to the entire batch. Then I added as many colorful shreds as I could find (I soon realized that my color choices were very limited!) and a vanilla buttercream fragrance that is out of this world! Now, this soap really looks like granite:

vanilla granite soap Adding Color to Rebatched Soap

What should I call this one?

The next soap was a combination of Lavender Meadows and Bye Bye Bugs scraps. The base was rather light in color, so I figured I could add some purple mica to liven it up. Again, just half of a tablespoon mixed in some water seemed to do the trick! When it was finished, I stirred in some white soap chunks. Since it already had a bit of lavender and citrus scent to it, I just added more lavender, some lime, and a hint of orange essential oils. Such a clean, fresh scent! I believe I’ll call it Lavender Lime.

lav lime Adding Color to Rebatched Soap

Lavender Lime Soap by Great Cakes Soapworks

I haven’t made any more rebatched soap today – yet. But the day isn’t over! Let me know if you have suggestions for naming the Vanilla one!

*Micas really aren’t hydrophilic, so they tend to resist being mixed with water. However, I think the water helps disperse the mica, so I do it anyway!

Rebatch Gone Wrong

Here is my miserable story about the soap that is NOT going to make it to the shelf. Several days ago I made a double batch of Oatmeal, Milk & Honey soap and forgot to add the rice bran oil. Even as I was putting the oils together in the pot I was thinking that it was odd that I only had two liquid oils in this soap. I checked what I had written down – and there was my problem. I didn’t check the original recipe, only what I had written down!

Well, after the soap level wasn’t as high as usual in the mold, and the goat’s milk turned the soap orange, I realized my mistake.

I waited about a week to do anything about it because I HATE to re-batch. It’s such a pain. Especially with the enormous batch size that I make. Takes a lot of time, not to mention energy to use the oven. Well, Sunday afternoon was unseasonably cool, so I decided to just try re-melting one of the two logs. I started by cutting the soap into chunks that my salad shooter could process:

OMH rebatch1 Rebatch Gone Wrong

Soap chunks

Then, I started feeding the chunks into the salad shooter. I used a pot that was plenty large because the shredded soap takes up a lot of space:

OMH rebatch2 Rebatch Gone Wrong

Shredding soap

Next, I added the missing rice bran oil:

OMH rebatch4 Rebatch Gone Wrong

Pouring in rice bran oil

I put the pot in the oven at 200 degrees for about four hours. I pulled it out to stir every hour or so. This is what it looked like right before I put it in the mold:

OMH rebatch5 Rebatch Gone Wrong

Melted soap looks like cookie dough!

Then I smashed it back into the mold:

OMH rebatch6 Rebatch Gone Wrong

Soap in the mold

Tried to cut the soap, and it’s super crumbly now:

OMH rebatch7 Rebatch Gone Wrong

Oh great! Botched it again...

I’m guessing either I didn’t cook it long enough, or I should have added some liquid. Either way, Clean the World is about to get another box from me. I’m done messing with it!!